Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My journey to a healthier lifestyle

You might have known that i'm quite health-conscious, especially after i started gymming at Fitness First. I think that is the best investment that i've made in the year of 2012 and am continuing to enjoy the gym.

Of course, there is a price to pay which is a 3 digit figure every month that is deducted from my bank account. But as i hear from someone who also joins a gym, telling a non-gym goer this, that you should not look at how much you are losing (the monthly payments) and look at what you are gaining.


Me? The moment of truth starts here.


I started running in 2010, where i think i have reached the stage of obesity. I was at 1.57m? at *GULP* 75kg. But i guess, i was very into running and it all started out with the PAssion Run, where i went on to complete the Nike City 10k run and then the Standchart 10km run. Despite all the running, i didn't lose any weight, even though i started feeling healthier.

Over the 2 years, i only lost a grand total of 3kg, even though i was running a few more races... and longer distances (like Sundown 21km and Adidas KOTR 16.8km). And i got one fren who commits to run with me... and then we feasted after that. Like that, how to lose weight hur?? 3kg was the max that i've lost up till April 2012.

When my running buddy decided to join back Fitness First, i had to run on my own. And it was kinda more difficult because i gave myself all sorts of excuses to not run. See people, when you have people doing things of the same cause, it gave u lesser reasons to give excuses. And there are a lot more people around me who are losing weight because they joined a gym (not necessarily Fitness First).

And you know, at all gyms, members are encouraged to bring friends into the gym... all sales stuff and they eventually join the gym or not... it's another story. So my running buddy brought me into the gym to attend a Yoga class... and i saw that facilities are really good, as compared to the gym i was previously with. Not to mention this is the biggest gym in the world. And there's one near my office (5 bus stops away), and one near my house (3 MRT stops away) and one near Suntec (10 mins walk) and one near to Expo (Tampines) and many near to the MRT and some even has swimming pools! I swiped the card and took up the membership!


Anyway, i started out in May, and now is December already. Let's review my results.


1) As of 26 December 2012, my weight has gone down to 66.5kg, thanks to all the Bodypump and Bodycombat classes i attended, and some 指点from a PT at Cathay. Though i didn't sign any PT package with me, he gave me some tips like ... no carbs after 6pm (er i didn't follow that religiously, but i realized i can survive on yogurt drinks after an evening workout), and to tone up using either weights or Bodypump classes. Oh, and i totally enjoy Sh'bam and BodyJam... esp the holiday classes :) Looking to attend classes on New Year's Eve and New year. With proper nutrition and exercise, Output lesser than Input, that is the correct way to lose the weight, and tone up my muscles.

Many people has also commended that i looked better and it's very obvious i lost weight! Haha. I was totally swooned when i realized i can wear my mother's skirts (so yea! Save more money!) and i need to alter some skirts cos they were too big for me.

2) I've managed to achieve Personal Best twice this year for my Half-Marathon Category. During the Army Half Marathon i've improved my timing to 3h 33 mins from 3h 40 mins (from RUN350), and in the recent Standchart Half Marathon, i further improved to 3h 25 mins, considering it to be a never tried before route, starting from Sentosa through to Marina Bay. I've been doing quite a bit of Yoga (helps in running, apparently)..... like Hatha Yoga, Vinyasa, Hot Flow... and my favorite class is Bodybalance.

I continue to aim towards a 3-4 times per week to the gym, where i aim to run about 5-6km every week with some mixes of classes such as Bodypump, Yoga/Balance, Combat, and spice it up with some Sh'Bam or BodyJam. (think the younger but more fun version of 土风舞, haha).


And yes, i need to eat healthier. Have discovered a new soup joint which surprised me from my usual favorite Soup Spoon and her Asian Tofu Salad.



























What i like about them:
a) Their soup is awesome.... Super Duper Gao! And they lived to what their belief is in, that their soup will taste according to the flavor of the soup... So nutritious! Totally no tinge of Cambell (who???). That's their main selling point, to start with! :)
b) Their set menu comes with either a selection of Crepe or Bread, and drink/fruit, at a good value.
c) The corner looked really cosy, and i like the bright decor of the place, even though it's a bit small.

What i didn't like about them:
a) Do we need 4 pieces of bread????? I didn't even finish the bread, actually. it is a bit oily, i think. But it's great to use Focaccia. :)
b) The banana looked a lil.... hmm
c) I can only find them at PS or J8?? Or GV at Vivo? But then, good things doesn't come in large quantities. :)

But i will definitely go for it when i passby it again! Loves their soup! :)

Till then! (It should probably be in 2013)

No comments: